Friday, September 10, 2010

Poetry on a rainwashed day



Days go by. Trying to work through paintings and there are things that have to be done, that need to be done, for visits away. Nicky Potter has been amazingly patient organizing a two week trip around England, ( Manchester, South-end-on Sea, Hackney for the Starlit Festival, Cambridge and Norfolk for the Norfolk Children's Bookshop)and I have to admit that the highlight for me will be working in the story teepee in London Zoo, because afterwards I hope to meet an animal or two, watch a tiger, and talk with some of the keepers maybe.
My painting has been elegantly ordered by the softer and  poetic hour glass and I have been wandering the net looking and learning about hour glass timers, so soon there will be an hour glass shaped posting.
A box arrived with a wonderful delivery from Iris Milward. So beautiful. She made the tile above from the simplest line sketch that I did at Art in Action in July. I love her work and cannot believe that she sells at such amazingly reasonable prices. The words woven in the hares say;
 
The night has a thousand eyes
And the day but one
Yet the light of the bright world dies
With the dying sun.
 
The mind has a thousand eyes
And the heart but one
Yet the light of the whole life dies
When love is done.
 
 
Such a beautiful thing to arrive on a rainy dark day.
 
I painted, as sand slipped through glass, all the time thinking of making painted hour glasses. And maybe a 24 hour glass.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that is absolutely beautiful! Just had a look on the website, and if I even had one of these beautiful creations I would be thrilled to bits. When we get our kitchen done, there will definately be a little hare tile in mine! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
    Dan
    -x-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking about Iris' poetry tiles the other day and how I'd love to buy a whole bundle of them because its too hard to choose just one! I'm still gutted to have missed both of you together at Art in Action... oh well...
    The trip you have planned sounds great, hope it all goes well... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tile is stunning with the poem's enchanting words and the painting's poetic flow - absolutely beautiful. I will definitely be revisiting the talented Iris with some savings. Thank you for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jackie!

    The tile from Iris looks amazing!

    I love how the words form the hares' bodies.

    So detailed and romantic looking!

    -Dean

    ReplyDelete