Saturday, October 9, 2010

The week in brief.

In the past week I have read to over a thousand children. I have set dragons flying and free in Hackney and Stockport and Brabraham and Norwich. I have read The Ice Bear through a few times, and I have rediscovered a very insistent small hatchling dragon who very much wants his own story. I have met very lovely children and teachers and booksellers. My evening event with the North Norfolk Children's Book Group was astonishing. So many people turned out on a warm October evening to a small motel in Aylesham. The room was full and children sat at my feet and looked and listened as I read.
Now I have much to think about and a busy week next week before I can go home to work. But for today all I have to do is play.
One of the things I discovered last week was that The Ice Bear was a book of the month on Love Reading last month, which is good. And Tell Me a Dragon is shortlisted for the Norfolk Children's Book Award. Last year's winner was a fantastic book, There Are Cats in This Book by Viviane Schwarz, a brilliant page turning picture book for young children. I watched her reading this at The Starlit Festival and she was fantastic.

3 comments:

  1. It's wonderful that you bring so much joy and pleasure to so many children. It must have been amazing to read to them in person and see their faces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jackie,
    It was great to meet up the other evening in rural North Norfolk. Glad you enjoyed your visit and we were certainly happy that you came over to visit us. Here's the link, I promised, to the best nursery rhyme CD ever by Tim Hart and friends http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/13332797/My-Very-Favourite-Nursery-Rhyme-Record/Product.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jackie
    Just wanted to say thankyou for the talk at Aylsham motel, good luck with that hatchling dragon.

    ReplyDelete