Thursday, June 17, 2010

Happiness.

In a comment Lizzie asked, "Of all the wonderful things that you have in your life - what makes you truly happy?"
Always a good thing to think about.

And I would answer differently on different days.

Today:
The memory of watching sandmartins fly.
 Seeing how my children have grown.
A brief moment after finishing a painting, when it still looks ok, before I notice all the parts that could have been better.
Sunlight and sun scent on a horse.
A row of seedlings pushing through soil in the raised bed, a small miracle.
Seeing the wind dance through a field of long grass.
Being lost inside the pages of a most excellent novel.
Catching the idea for a story.
The excultation of skylark song.
Knowing that I have the very best of friends.

Sometimes it is good to take a moment to count your blessings.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, how true!

    Happiness is, indeed, a shape-shifter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very important to notice the happy moments of life. They drift past far too easily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A happiness.....seeing some of the best of something you love. I did go to the V&A quilt exhibit while I was in London. What a marvellous collection. The Raj quilt was even more heart-tugging then I expected; the oldest quilts with bits of fabric from the then distant and wondrous Orient shimmered, but tears came to my eyes when I turned a corner and saw a simple bed with a very simple tied squares quilt, one from the Canadian Red Cross. My mother made these, both for the Red Cross to be sent overseas to soldiers far from home, and for her own home....mine was made with scraps from clothes she had made me, and I still make this type of very simple quilt for new grandchildren. To see it given display with some of the great quilts of the world was quite overwhelming! Happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What makes a person happy varies, to be sure... but noticing that we are, indeed happy, sometimes takes some doing. Good list of small happinesses, Jackie. There is a much modified quote that says "Every day is a gift, that's why it is called 'the Present'".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the reminder. I think I'll take a break and count my blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a very wise grandmother who gave me two very important pieces of advice. One was to 'never let the sun go down on an argument' which is sometimes hard, but much better than going to bed still angry with nothing resolved...and the other was to ALWAYS count your blessings. I try to stop and do it every now and then, to remind myself just how lucky I am in so many ways. I sometimes think our modern consumerist society wants us to be miserable...after all, if we were happy, we wouldn't be seduced into buying stuff we don't need all the time!

    ReplyDelete