Sunday, June 20, 2010

How I love these days that are scented with honeysuckle and roses and the salt sea




Imagine a valley that lives beneath an ocean of air. On the floor of this ocean the air sparkles with green summer light. Senses are confused by the wealth of life. The air smells of sunshine on bracken, and a rich taste of honeysuckle scent that twists beneath the curled fern fronds. The air is thick with birdsong. Time lingers in echoes, on bone bleached lichen dappled rocks, held in stone circles, so ancient. Between the notes of birdsong even the stones sing.
At one end of the valley, the sea. Waves pull on the sand drawing patterns with a restless hand. Lazy waves n a glassy tumble and above the sea a bright white gannet hunting bright sliver darlings. Beneath the rocks sea caves smell of the salt sea.










6 comments:

  1. I can almost smell the scents you describe. Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmm, I;m right there with you... thank you. I do miss the ocean where I spent most of my life living close to. Now I am learning the mysteries of the deep and quiet forest. At times it smells like ocean here to me - on days when the river is rushing - and I think it must be the scent of ionized water running over granite boulders, pulling the wind along with it through hemlock and pine branches and rough trunks of all the standing trees and the humble, blooms of the woodlands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the photos. My mind has been on honeysuckle too - in fact I took an almost identical picture for my blog, only our honeysuckle is more pink than yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A glorious description, full of life and love of the land... I like 'Time lingers in echoes...'

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love days when the air is so clean that you can taste the honeysuckle and heather that sweetens life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sold me.I'll jump on the next plane!Wales here I come!I'll be leaving black flies and forest fires,,,

    ReplyDelete