Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Light through leaves, heather on the hill.








My first year of growing vegetables and I love to look at the way evening light falls through the leaves. My leeks have suffered from my laziness with watering. Next year I will have two more beds, which will have organic matter dug well in to beautiful top soil. I will grow onions and beans, leeks and  lambs lettice, beetroot and carrots, spinach and rocket and swiss chard and maybe even artichokes. And I will water them more and chant incantations by the light of the full moon to keep off the slugs and I will search for toads and put down things that snakes can hide under, to do battle with slugs. 
For now I am just so entranced by courgettes.
And I wonder if next year I might have bees also.

8 comments:

  1. Ooooh . . . we're thinking of maybe growing some vegetables next year, the trick will be making sure the deer don't munch it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your photos - heather in the hills is wonderful, as are your vegetable photos. There is nothing nicer than your own home grown vegetables and I like the idea of chanting incantations by the light if the moon but don't like the idea of snakes, luckily there aren't any in NZ. The beetroot would make a lovely dye for your art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's addictive! Joing the club!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its refreshing to hear your welcome snakes in your garden, so many hate snakes but they do so much good.Lovely photos,, love the heather.We have nothing that color that grows wild here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the wonderful textures and colors of the "bluestone" in the top picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You inspire! And please come up with a spell to make chipmunks stop eating my cherry tomatoes, one of the only things I planted this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photos..My Brother has just started to keep bees in Suffolk
    Watch out I think Bee keeping is addictive

    ReplyDelete