Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Walking, thinking, painting, signing.



Walking to the hill top with the dogs to gather thoughts and exercise mind and body before starting work today. I love the curves of the bodies of horses.






At the beach the seal pup has grown. I watch as the mother calls the pup into the sea. They swim around a submerged rock and he swims as hard as hard as he can as she glides through turquoise water. He follows close around the rock and then back to the beach for warm seal milk and we walk on. Soon there will be more pups.
On the path the tattered remnant of a bright butterfly reminds me of how fragile life can be.

Just a scrap of colour like bright paper on the dusty path.





Here in this place where the sea bites the land and the cloud is low, so low it touches my face like a thousand soft kisses, the path is narrowed by fern and heather.






At Maes y Mynydd the horses are curious.




I find myself thinking more and more about horses. Their curious heads push and sniff as I bow to them. Warm, they smell of summer grass. Velvet soft noses with warm breath.
Back home, working on cheetahs, thinking of horses, nursery rhymes and in the middle of the day a quick visit to Solva Woollen Mill in Middlemill to sign books, including The Icebear. 







5 comments:

  1. Hello Jackie,must be so different living so close to the see,looks beautiful over there. Have been watching a horse too;since a couple of weeks there's a horse in the meadow across my house,looking at it makes me very quiet.
    The cheetahs are very beautiful,I like the two works together,hope they stay together,greetings,Renilde.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love feeling like I'm taking the walk with you, you live in such a beautiful place. I miss the sea.

    The cheetahs in the bowl are definitely one of my favorites, beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I envy you your encounters with horses, we now live in a town and I no longer get to breathe in the scent which somehow has a deep connection with me.It was seeing the horses go, that upset me the most when the farm was sold, so I understand how you can be focused on them.
    I have just bought "The Starlight Sailor" for the stash of books I keep here for my Grandsons, it is very special, as I followed the progress from the start.
    I think the bowl of Cheetahs is wonderful, it will always bring a smile, because you know how it came about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you made the bowl the same in both pictures. I think I prefer it full of cheetahs, though. Does the color that you paint the background have a bearing on what it looks like after it is guilded? It's hard to tell from photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jackie!

    Are those wild horses?

    I'm so jealous of your surroundings....as always! I've got to travel there one of these days!

    -Dean

    ReplyDelete