Saturday, February 13, 2010

Mug

In 1994 I was working for a card company called Paperlink. They produced a series of mugs for Greenpeace. The artist was paid £250 a design. The artist's royalties went to Greenpeace. Paperlink did well out of the project as the mugs were very succesful. 
I had about 6 but like most things in the house they were used and got broken. So today I was very pleased to be given one of each of the mugs, still in its packaging. I want to try and persaude the Musicians Benevolent Fund to do a couple of mugs for sale in their Christmas catalogue and throughout the year.

 
 
 
  

I did quite a great deal of work for Paperlink over a period of years. Infact it was the regular work I did with them that allowed me to save the money to put a deposit down on my house, a thing I never expected to be at all possible as an artist. At one time I was doing 7 card designs a week for them, 14 hour days of nothing but painting. Unfortunately our working relationship ended, certainly with very bad feelings on my part, but then there are always two sides to every story.

7 comments:

  1. Balancing making a living and having time to create (art or whatever) is difficult. Enjoying your beautiful blog which I think is quite inspriring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I remember your Greenpeace cards! Amazing! The mug is so lovely - what a nice blog post to wake up to this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some days ago you enthused about roast figs sugar snow and the image that you posted of the dish you cooked looked so delicious I bought the book on Amazon. Last night we ate the sublime flavours of spare ribs with pears, onions and melting gorgonzola! Thank you for the recommendation. As this is another bitingly cold day, I think we may have to resort to Skiers chocolate with bugnes after a walk on the beach!

    I empathise with your traces of empty nest syndrome. All the anticipation of more time for yourself and then finding that you wish your chidren were there to spend it with you! However, there is always the possibility that they become what I learned recently are known as 'boomerang children'. This is what we have in our son - an artist who comes home in between work and no work - best of both worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And don't the years pass and our paths weave ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lizzie. The pears and onions and spare ribs is a favorite of ours too.
    I made a tomato and sausage thing from a different book the other day and it was so so very easy and the scent was from heaven so will blog that one when I make it next. Takes about 5 mins to make.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi I desperately need one of paperlink mugs (the one with a whale, moon and ocean. My daughter broke one that was very important for my friend. If you should know where to find them please write to agniecha-23@o2.pl Please, please help!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought two Greenpeace mugs (the same as in the pictures above) and 20 years later, after daily use, they are still going strong! Obviously great quality mugs and the designs still look amazing.

    ReplyDelete